Buttons, Buttons and MOP Buttons

My latest commission from Yiu Wah Button Co Ltd (YW), hopefully.

I am a shirting snob, so you do not have to take every word I say about shirts and buttons literally. For me, mother of pearl (MOP) shirt buttons are more aesthetic than functional. But just like youthful human beings (am I being gender neutral and appropriate?), they are nice to look at and nice to have.

Some of the best MOP buttons I have seen come from the following makers, in no particular order:

A post shared by D'AVINO NAPOLI TAILOR (@davinoshirtnapoli) on







But when it comes to commissioning local bespoke projects, I simply cannot ask these famous makers "oh can you sell me some of your prided buttons?". It sounds lame. I have to do it my own way. So the solution is local and the solution is YW.

Again, I happened to order from YW just because they are the shop which situates closest to the Prince Edward MTR station, and when I was still working in Yaumatei, I could go to them after work to check on their progress. I will include information about the other good SSP button makers I know of - please feel free to contact them if you need to. Then, there is a legend that YW once supplied the legendary Ascot Chang before AC switched to using their own Japanese MOP buttons - but I think it would be impossible to positively confirm that from AC.

Key criteria I had in mind when I commissioned this new batch of buttons:
  1. MOP, not cheap trocas
  2. Less than 4 mm. I want @wongmanhoi1025 to be able to stitch them on using the machine as well (N.B. a majority of my shirts are machine made). His machine's button clamp couldn't take 4 mm buttons. As simple as that.
  3. Curved top to show lustre while accommodating thickness of the threads
  4. Curved bottom for easier buttoning

Actually not that complicated, isn't it? Anyway, since the conception of the project started right before our lovely CNY, so there were delays and delays...

"Sure, they will be ready after CNY!"

"Sure, they will be ready after Easter!"

"Sure, they will be ready next week!"

Finally, 

Front view.

Side view.

Back of the button.

If every button can turn out to be like the sample, I would indeed be very happy - there is always a defect rate, which cannot be zero. Production won't start till after I pay, so I have to be rational and think whether I need 144 (one box, for 12 shirts), 1440 or 14400. Shirts, after all, are just there to carry my fabric...

And now I need a long thinking break.

P.S. The curious reader may visit all three button companies at one go as they are within walking distance from one another. They open Mon through Sat.

Until then, goodbye!


Yiu Wah Button Co Ltd


Ground Floor, 39 Tai Nan Street
Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong


Hung To Button Company

http://www.manlifai.com.hk/ (link is dead, maybe this site?)

G/F., 173 Yu Chau Street, 
Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Wai Lee Shell Products Making Factory

no website

G/F, 259 Lai Chi Kok Road, 
Sham Shui Po, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Comments

Post a Comment