Denim-gazing (aka "when will the madness end")

Having been asked by some to share my denim (or "fake denim") collection, I decided to create a graphical post to remind myself (hopefully not my wife) of how much I have already bought. Just to make it clear: I don't like denim so most of these were bought, um, for long-term investment...

1. A denim that's called Jeans

Some years back, my friend Giancarlo of Bonfanti Tessuti said he would make some denim fabric. As I happened to be among a group of friends very hungry for denim fabric, I suggested him to go ahead with his project (as I was quite certain the local demand would be able to overwhelm his production).

"What is the name of your new fabric?" 

"Rubino."


Bonfanti (fake) denim "Rubino" in 120/2 cotton melange.

Close-up view. One can clearly see the melange yarns.

When the fabric finally arrived, it was, perhaps not surprisingly, NOT labelled as Rubino. Perhaps Italian mills all embrace code-naming of projects like software companies.


A post shared by Tom Ho (@shirtingfantasy) on



I never have a shirt made from Jeans (aka "Rubino") and hopefully, my roll of fabric will soon become some luxury vintage shirting I can resale for 10 times the cost. Haha.


2. A cashmere-cotton that's called Denim

When you source fabric directly from the mill, sometimes you get to buy their next-season collection like fashion houses do. There is a certain minimum ordering quantity for these novelty items, but once you can order that amount, you get a very healthy price and likely a unique fabric:

A post shared by Tom Ho (@shirtingfantasy) on


A post shared by Tom Ho (@shirtingfantasy) on


It was a very lovely fabric - in fact, so lovely that SuitSupply made it into their ready-to-wear collection the next year. Unfortunately, the fabric was later found to be very difficult to care for and pills readily. It was also one of my rather embarrassing purchases, as more than a few of my friends found that their denim shirt has significant colour fastness issues - tainting their other shirts that were washed together.

To end this post, I would like to emphasize that none of the above was indigo-dyed. Technically speaking, both were NOT proper denim. But I tricked the denim-hungry reader to read this far, didn't I? ;-)

P.S. I will show some true denim later.

Until then, goodbye!

Comments